Saturday, January 16, 2016

Welcome 2016!

A new year is well underway, and I am finally taking the time to welcome it on my blog.  With only a few posts last year, we'll see if I can do a little better this year.  My 2016 UFO Page and list is updated, and I am ready for the long weekend.  I have a little housework to do, and some lingering Christmas decorations to take down.  Once those are complete, my plan is to sew.

For this year's UFO Challenge, Aunt Marti has made January a "free" month.  That means we will only be numbering 10 UFO's this year, and January and December will be months we can finish any project we choose or just take off.  That works out well for me, because I have several projects that I need to get completed before my other quilts.

First is a quilt repair.  I have had this quilt for waaaaay too long.  Since it belongs to someone else, I just need to get it completed.  So today, my plan is to power through it.  Once I get it completed, I can get the monkey and chip off my shoulder for having had it so long.  I think knowing I should be working on it instead of other projects has kept me from my sewing room.

The picture really doesn't show the work involved.  In addition to putting new batting and replacing the back, I needed to fix several of the diamonds or replace them.  When I unquilted it and held it up to the light, I found 253 holes from where it was worn!  Oh My, what had I gotten myself into?  I've fixed over half of them now, and need to finish the rest and requilt it.


Once I get it finished, I need to finish the binding on my Cute Critter quilt.  I am almost finished with the binding, and ready to mail off.  Maybe just another hour or so.


In 2 weeks, I will be taking a Tuffet Class at Tennessee Quilts in Jonesborough.  To get ready, I would like to make a Pocket Full of Rulers Bag by Bella Nonna and Bionic Gear Bag by Sally Thompson to carry all of my stuff.  Completing these bags will have the added bonus of getting several more things off my project list.

I've made a ruler bag before, but my Mom liked it so much, I gave it to her.  Here are some pictures.  Now I need to make another one for me.



And this is a picture of a Bionic Gear Bag made by Sally Thompson.  See all the pockets?  I love those.  View her video to see all of the other features of this bag.  


And finally for the month, I plan to make 2 tuffets by Tuffet Source.  One will be completed at class, and the other will need to be completed when I get home.  I plan to have 2 matching tuffets for the playroom.  When I am sitting on the couch, I would like to have them for my feet.  When the boys are playing games, they would like to have them to sit on.  Here is a picture of one made by Sharyn Cole of Tuffet Source.  I'll post pictures of mine when they are finished.


All of that said, yesterday I agreed to make a t-shirt quilt for someone.  I need to decide on the layout for this quilt, and get started on it.  If I can finish all but the tuffets this weekend, I can get started on it this weekend.  Otherwise, my goal is to get started on it later this week.

That's my plan for this weekend and the rest of the month.  Come back to see my progress.  I've actually scheduled blogging time into my week, so I will hopefully be blogging once or twice more this week.  Until then...Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment