Sunday, February 28, 2016

Stash Report - February 28, 2016

This week, life has kept me from my sewing room for extended periods of time. I have made it to the room for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I used that time to accomplish several things.

First, I made it a point to put away 10 things a day in the snippets of time I had. Maybe it was a few skeins of floss I had pulled out or fabrics I had tried out but not used. There were even some fabrics I bought last year but hadn't put away. They were just cluttering up my work surfaces, and now they are happily back in their homes. I even managed to dust and vacuum. My sewing space is so much tidier now. 

The second thing accomplished in the short amounts of time was getting cutting done. I finished cutting the borders and the rest of the background for my Civil War quilt. I also cut out the pieces I need for my table runner. The tuffet pieces are now in the correct order, and the first several pieces are pinned in place on the foundation. All of those projects are ready to just sit and sew. 

So my stash hasn't changed this week, but I did manage to get some needed things done. A stash reduction is just a few days away. Monday maybe?

                                      This Week                       This Year
Used                                             0                             14.50
Added                                           0                             22.25
Net Used/Added                           0                               7.75            

On the other side of things, I had someone at karate ask of I always had a project with me. Well...yes, yes I do. If I have binding to hand sew, I do it there. I use a kit similar to this. This is the same kit I use for hexagons.  I just sub the thread for some cheap thread and add hexagon paper and precut fabric.


Otherwise, I have an embroidery project with me right now. I like something that I can slip in my purse, and the pencil pouch works great.  This is what I carry in my pencil pouch, and my progress on my current block. I just have to finish my squiggles at the top, the ferns, button-hole stitch the grass down, and stitch the hexagons in place. I should be done by the end of Tuesday.


When I have a larger project with me, I use this bag.  This is just what I pulled out that was still in it.  I must have been using it for another block of the same quilt I am currently embroidering on.


You might be wondering about the bobbins and the 'cheap' thread. When I am putting on binding, I use thread off of a bobbin. Partly it is because of size and carrying it with me. The other reason is to use up the rest of the thread on the bobbin so I can wind fresh bobbins for the next project. Sometimes my bobbins miswind, so that helps use it up without just trashing the thread.  I also receive sewing kits from time to time as gifts.  It is very thoughtful, but the thread is not something I would use in my machine or on something I want to be around for a while.  So, I include it in my embroidery bag for basting background fabric to foundation fabric or basting templates when paper piecing.

That's it for now.  I am linking up to Patchwork Times.  Have a great week!
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment