Sunday, July 17, 2016

Stash Report - July 17, 2016

Have you ever been getting ready for a retreat or special sewing time and thought, "I'm going to get so much done!  I better take extra!"?  That is exactly what I did last week.  My plan was to sew every day in the hotel room while my boys were at Space Day Camp.  My goal was to finish the two class quilts I started with Bonnie Hunter at the beginning of the month.  But surely I could get more finished, so I also packed Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Floating Hexagons, my Christmas table runner, and a Scrap Bag for good measure.  It would be terrible to have to go "buy" a "new" project while on vacation, right?

Hahahahahaa!  Silly girl!  What was I thinking?  I did sew every day (and night) in the hotel room.  I did get quite a bit accomplished, but taking just the two class quilts would have been plenty.  While in the hotel, there were still "chores" to be done.  We had a nice room with a kitchenette, and I had planned crockpot meals.  I took most of the spices, but I still had to shop for the meat and veggies while I was there.  I still had a load of laundry to do, and I had to pick up the room each morning after my little tornadoes were done getting dressed.  (Yes, they are able to do this themselves, but time in the morning was a factor.)  There were also two trips to Unclaimed Baggage that needed to happen...that was half a day times two, and well worth it!  (I may never check another bag on an airline again!)

When I wasn't on those adventures, I was in the room sewing.  This was my little setup.  It was compact and efficient.  I really liked the layout, and I made notes in my Quilting Journal about what I liked and didn't like about the setup.  Eventually, I will redo my home sewing room, and these notes will be helpful.


I started by working on Boxy Stars.  Maybe I should have started with Bricks in the Barnyard, because I think I had all of those pieces cut out already.  That was not the case for Boxy Stars.  So I spent time cutting and marking those pieces before I could sew them.  I did manage to get all of the blocks done for the quilt while in the hotel.


When I arrived home yesterday, I also completed adding the sashing to the blocks and assembling them into rows.  Today, I need to complete the cornerstone/sashing rows and add borders.

As I look ahead to the next few weeks, I'll be traveling again.  I won't take my machine, so this week I need to prepare one of my embroidery projects to travel with me.  I only need one, because I am quite sure I will not be able to finish an entire block while I am gone.  Once I have that prepared, I will work on Bricks in the Barnyard.  My goal is to keep this from becoming a UFO, and focus on piecing the rest of July.  In August, the plan is to work on my free-motion by quilting the tops that are waiting.  There are four so far.

So no finishes to help my numbers, but no fabric shopping either.  I have made significant progress on completing this top, so hopefully I am getting closer to moving my numbers in the other direction.

                                 This Week             This Year
Used:                              0.00                   25.25
Purchased:                       0.00                    67.50
Net:                                 0.00                   42.25

See how others are managing their stash this week at Patchwork Times.

Have a great week,
Joy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment